A great little salad, bursting with goodness, and full of fresh flavours, all brought together with crispy, salty, bacon.
Bacon, Apple, and Spelt Salad
Tasty and light, this is a great starter, or even as a midweek lunch
- 80 g Pearled Spelt
- 100 g streaky bacon cut into cubes
- 230 g halloumi into 1cm thick slices
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 small red onion peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 large red apple cored and thinly sliced
- 80 g Seedless Grapes halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100 g salad leaves mixture of little gem, rocket, baby spinach as an example
- In a medium saucepan, cover the spelt with cold water, then bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes, until tender. Let stand for 5 minutes, then drain and cool.
- In a large frying pan, fry the bacon unti crisp and well coloured, then drain on a paper towel
- Return the pan to a medium heat, then fry the halloumi until well browned on all sides. Transfer to a board, and cut into 1cm cubes.
- In a large bowl, add the cider vinegar and season well with salt and pepper. Whisk well, then add the oil and whisk again.
- Place the onion in a large bowl and cover with the dressing, stand for 5 minutes. Add in the remaining ingredients and gently combine with your hand, before distributing to four plates ready to serve.
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter