We love trying new dishes, and this is one of more recent finds. Adobo is a popular Filipino dish, with a very distinctive savoury and sweet flavour, with rich spicy undertones from black pepper. Yet for it’s richness, it has the feel of a light and summery dish. You really have to try it!
- 1 Large bowl
- 1 Large Saute Pan any high sided frying pan will work
- 1 large saucepan with lid
- 1 Large Wok
- 750 g skinned and boned chicken thighs
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 100 ml light soy sauce reduced salt
- 120 ml cider vinegar
- 2 leaves bay leave
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion peeled and chopped
- 350 ml water
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 3 whole spring onions sliced
- 1 small bunch coriander finely chopped
- 300 g long grain rice
- selection of vegetables to stir fry
- Combine the soy sauce, white wine vinegar and half the garlic in the large bowl, then add the chicken thighs, stir well, and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes (the longer the better).
- Heat a third of the oil in the frying pan over a medium high heat. Remove the chicken thighs from the marinade and brown them in the pan on both sides. Reserve the marinade. Remove the chicken and set to one side.
- Turn the heat down on the pan, add another tbsp of oil, and then the remaining garlic and the onion, and cook until translucent. Add the marinade, the water, the sugar and the cracked black pepper, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and simmer for 25 minutes, turning the chicken halfway through.
- Rinse the rice, then place in the saucepan. Add twice the volume of water (roughly 600ml water for 300g rice), and bring to the boil over a high heat. Swirl the pan to distribute evenly, then put the lid on and cook on as low a heat as possible for 10 minutes. Don't take the lid off! Remove from the heat and leave to stand with the lid still on.
- Heat the remaining oil in the wok over a high heat, and stir-fry your vegetables. You can use anything you have, but we love this recipe with savoy cabbage, mushrooms and red onions.
- Finish cooking the chicken until the sauce has reduced to a nice glazing consistency. Serve over the rice and stir fry vegetables, and top with the sliced spring onions and chopped coriander