Fantastically easy, packs a proper taste punch, and great with a Sunday Roast or a summer BBQ.
Balsamic Glazed Red Onions
Stunning side dish that elevates the humble onion to star status
- 6 medium red onions cut in half and peeled
- 400 ml cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the onion halves into a glass bowl and cover with the cider vinegar. Soak for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 200C, 180C fan, gas mark 6.
- Drain the onions, retaining 100ml of the vinegar in a pan with the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil over a high heat, and simmer for approx 10 minutes, until just starting to thicken.
- Place the onions in a lightly greased oven dish, and then pour over the glaze. Cover with foil, and cook in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to cook for a further 15 minutes, or until nicely coloured.
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter