Everyone loves pulled pork don’t they? Especially when you can use the slow cooker to do all the work. And who doesn’t love a taco? So bring them together and you get a family meal that everyone is going to love sharing. You can also make the pulled pork in advance and freeze it, meaning even less effort on the day.
Pulled Pork Tacos
- Slow Cooker
- 1.5 kg pork shoulder boned with rind removed
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp chipotle chilli powder
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- .5 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
- 30 g light brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 150 ml orange juice
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 432 g can pineapple
- 3 large tomatoes deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 whole red onion peeled and finely chopped
- 1 bunch coriander finely chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red chili finely sliced
- 10 taco shells or wraps
- pickled red cabbage
- 1 avocado
- 100 ml sour cream
- In a large bowl, mix together the chipotle chili, oregano, smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, nutmeg, sugar and salt. Cut the pork into 4 or 5 large chunks, and cover with the spices, cover and chill for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Add the pork and spices to the slow cooker, then the orange juice, cider vinegar and the juices from the pineapple. Set on high, and cook for 5-6 hours, until tender enough that it breaks apart with a spoon. Pull it apart, turn down the heat to low, and cover until ready to serve.
- Cut the pineapple into small chunks. Mix in a small bowl with the tomatoes, onion, coriander, lime juice, olive oil and chili. Season well, then set aside for 30 minutes to develop. Cut the avocado in half, remove the stone, scoop out the flesh and then mash to a coarse paste. Season well, adding a little chili powder if you like.
- Heat the tacos as instructed on the packet, then serve up everything so that people can help themselves. Great with a small salad and fresh sweetcorn alongside as well.