With the shorter days, and the run up to Christmas, we’re all looking for a family dinner that’s easy to prepare, and even easier on the pocket, and will have everyone lining up for seconds.
Look no further than this super easy slow cooker recipe for Chilli Con Carne. It feels super luxurious if cooked with the diced meats, and the combination of beef and pork gives a real depth of flavour, but you can easily swap it around and use just the one meat. Plus, it works just as well with minced beef or pork, just reduce the cooking times by 10%. If you use minced pork, you should leave it to rest for 10 minutes once cooked, and skim any excess fat from the top.
Slow Cooker Chilli Con Carne
- Large slow cooker
- Large heavy bottomed frying pan
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 800 g diced braising beef shin is fantastic
- 800 g diced pork shoulder works well
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp chipotle chili flakes depending on your preference
- 500 g tomato passata
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes 400g each
- 2 tins beans red kidney bean, or mix it up. 400g each.
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 2 rich beef stockpots
- 3 carrots peeled and finely diced
- Heat the frying pan over a medium heat, and then gently fry the onions in half the oil, seasoning well with salt. When just translucent, add in the garlic and the carrot, and continue to cook out for a further three minutes. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Turn up the heat and then batch brown the meat, then add to the slow cooker.
- Add in all the other ingredients. Rinse out the tins and cartoons with a small amount of water, and add to the slow cooker as well. Top up with water to just cover everything.
- Set on a low setting cook for 8 hours, stirring every hour or so. You can also cook on the high setting for 5 hours.
- Serve with white rice, nachos, or as a jacket potato filling, with lots of grated cheddar and a generous spoon of soured cream.