This take on a southern BBQ sauce is a great all rounder. Use it slathered over ribs and chicken fresh off the grill, or as a condiment with meats or, our favourite, fresh french fries!
Classic BBQ Sauce
Inspired by the classic deep south style sauces, with a warming chipotle kick
- Large saucepan
- food processor
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 200 g tomato ketchup
- 60 ml pineapple juice
- 100 g honey
- 50 g dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 2 tbsp Chipotle Powder
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Sweet Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp English Mustard Powder
- 50 ml Bourbon
- Seasoning to taste
- Heat the oil in the pan over a medium heat, then add the onions with a pinch of salt, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring often, until soft and golden. Add the garlic and fry for a further two minutes.
- Turn up the heat, then add the bourbon to deglaze. Add in the remaining ingredients, and bring to a low boil. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the sauce into the food processor, and blitz until it's smooth, being careful not to overfill.
- Allow to cool and store in an airtight container for up to two weeks in the fridge. Alternatively you can jar or bottle whilst hot in sterilized containers and it should keep for up to three months in the fridge.
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter