We’ve been making this classic for the last thirty years, after a chef shared it with us and blew our minds with its secret ingredient. We’re pretty sure you’ll love it too.
Obviously great with burgers, you’ll find yourself reaching for it with any BBQ meats, as well as cold meat platters and salads.
Classic Burger Relish
- Large saucepan
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium red onions peeled and finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp red chili seeded and pith removed, chopped
- 800 g tomatoes chopped, fresh or tinned
- 150 ml red wine vinegar
- 200 g soft brown sugar
- 2 tsp instant coffee mixed with 100ml hot water
- 50 g gherkins drained and finely chopped
- 50 g capers drained and chopped
- seasoning to taste
- Heat the oil in the pan over a medium heat. Fry the onions until soft, about 10 minutes, stirring often, then add the garlic and chili and fry for a further two minutes. Season with a little salt.
- Add all the remaining ingredients bar the gherkins and capers, and bring to a low boil. Simmer for 20-30 minutes, until it starts to thicken like a jam.
- Add in the gherkins and capers, taste and season if required. Allow to cool before serving.