Beef Stroganoff is a classic Russian dish of sauteed beef in a cream sauce with mustard. Here in the UK this tends to be a very rich cream sauce, although traditionally the dish was always prepared with sour cream. This version stays true to that, but swaps in half fat creme fraiche as a great way to keep the fat and calories down. Served with brown rice it’s high in protein and high in fibre, as well as tasting absolutely delicious. I’m certain you’re going to love it.
Healthy Beef Stroganoff
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion peeled and sliced
- 1 large clove garlic crushed, peeled and finely chopped
- 10 g butter
- 250 g mushrooms sliced
- 20 g plain flour
- 500 g rump steak fat removed and sliced into strips
- 150 g half fat creme fraiche
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 100 ml water
- 1 beef stockpot
- 1 small bunch parsley finely chopped
- 200 g brown basmati rice
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat half the oil in a thick bottomed, high sided sauté pan, over a low heat, and then add the onion and cook until completely softened and slightly coloured, up to 10 to 15 minutes. Add a splash of water if it starts to stick. Add in the garlic and the butter, and cook for a further minute, then add in the mushrooms and cook until they are soft and condensed in size. Season it all well, then set aside in a bowl.
- Measure the rice in a measuring cup, then rinse well with running cold water until it runs clear and transfer to a saucepan. Add double the amount of water plus a little salt, then bring to the boil over a high heat. Put on a lid and turn the heat down to the lowest possible setting, then cook for 10 minutes keeping the lid on. Remove from the heat, cover with a tea towel and rest for 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork and serving.
- Add the rest of the oil to the pan, turn up the heat to medium, then add in the beef strips. Sprinkle over the flour and season well, then stir it vigorously to coat the meat. Fry until well coloured.
- Add the onions and mushrooms back into the pan, stir will, then add in the water, stock pot, mustard and creme fraiche. Stir well to mix thoroughly, then simmer over a medium heat for five minutes, until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Serve the Stroganoff over rice, scattering the chopped parsley to garnish.