Really quick to prepare, this take on a South Asian classic is a fantastic dish for midweek, as you can just throw it in the oven to cook itself. Rich and smokey from the paprika and chorizo, the lemon beautifully balances this dish, meaning that this will soon become a family favourite. And it’s incredibly cost effective as well!
Chicken and Chorizo Baked Rice
- Large Casserole with Lid
- Grease proof Paper
- 1 large Onion peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 2 whole Sweet Peppers deseeded and chopped
- 100 g Chorizo roughly chopped
- 4 sprigs Flat Leaf Parsley seperate leaves and stalks then finely chop
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Sweet Smoked Paprika
- 250 g Brown Basmati Rice
- 4 Chicken Legs
- 500 ml Passata
- 1 piece Chicken Stockpot
- 1 whole Lemon Zested and juiced
- Seasoning to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180C, 160C fan, gas mark 4.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in the casserole over a medium heat, then brown the chicken legs all over, approx 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add the rest of the oil to the casserole. Add the onion and pepper, and sweat for around 5 minutes until soft. Turn up the heat, and add the garlic, chorizo, parsley stalks and cook for a further two minutes until colouring. Add the paprika and stir in well.
- Add the rice to the casserole, and stir around so that it's well covered. Add in the passata and the stock pot, half fill the passata carton with water and swish out. Add to the casserole, along with the lemon zest and juice. Add the chicken legs back in.
- Scrunch a piece of greaseproof paper so that it will allow for expansion, then place it across the top of the casserole. Put the lid on, then cook in the oven for 1 hour. The rice should be tender and the chicken cooked through, and most of the liquid incorporated.
- Allow to stand for a few minutes, before garnishing with the chopped parsley. This dish is great served on it's own, or with a crisp salad, or even a good quality flatbread and sauces.