Who doesn’t love a proper deep fried chip? Obviously we all know we need to be careful how often we indulge ourselves, but it really is the perfect side to a special occasion steak, a crispy meat pie, or simply on their own with a sauce for dipping!
Deep Fried Triple Cooked Chips
- Deep Fat Fryer
- 4 large potatoes, such as Maris Piper approx 1kg in weight
- sunflower oil for frying in fryer
- beef dripping optional
- salt to season
- Peel the potatoes, then cut into thick chips. Rinse the chips under cold running water until it runs clear to remove starch.
- Add the chips to a saucepan of cold water, seasoned with salt, then bring to a gentle simmer. Simmer for a few minutes until they are soft to the touch but not cooked through. Drain the chips, lay out on a tray, and once they stop steaming, chill in the fridge until dry and cold, roughly 30 minutes.
- Fill the deep fat fryer with the vegetable oil and beef dripping if using, as per it's instructions, then pre-heat to 130C. Fry the chips in batches for approx 8 minutes (don't overcrowd), until they have a decent crust but little to no colour. Remove the chips and lay out on a tray again, and chill in the fridge again until cold, approx 30 minutes.
- Turn the fryer up to 180C. Deep fry the chips in batches again for approx 4-5 minutes until crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen towel and season with salt. You can keep them warm in a low oven until ready to serve.